Location: NEW MINAS and WATERVILLE, NOVA SCOTIA
Position: Summer Student Supportive Co-Worker
Status: Full time, seasonal position
Do you have an interest in pursuing a career in human services?
Are you energetic and always up to meeting new challenges, no matter what the day?
Do you always go that extra mile when getting the job done?
The Flower Cart provides vocational service to adults considered to have an intellectual disability who reside in Kings County, NS. Over the last 50 years, The Flower Cart has served hundreds of adults with a wide range of service options including, but not limited to prevocational, vocational, outreach and community employment programs. The Flower Cart is currently seeking two Summer Student – Supportive Co-Workers. These are full-time, seasonal positions. We are looking for people who are detailed-oriented, always looking to add value, client focused, and are energetic and driven regardless of the obstacles!
The Summer Student – Supportive Co-Workers will be an ambassador for, and facilitator of, supported training. Responsibilities will include:
- Incorporating work on participants’ objectives into all activity and work settings
- Assist participants with day to day concerns
- Foster a team oriented environment
- Cooperate with peers in other programs and projects of The Flower Cart
- Ensures quality control of production methods and finished products
- Ensures that participants are challenged by the work that they are involved in
- Fosters participant independence in the production process
- Assists in identifying workplace hazards and in developing solutions to address identified hazards
- Work in a safe manner at all times.
- Production of wooden items
- Loading and unloading trailers
- Ability to utilize small equipment.
- Labelling and packaging products
The challenge of this position is ensuring an acceptable level of production while ensuring successful training for each participant.
The successful candidates will have:
- Completion of High School and must be entering or returning to post-secondary.
- Highly proficient in MS Office software. Certificate in MS Office would be an asset but is not required.
- Superior customer service, communication, and active listening skills.
- Able to lift 20 lbs unassisted
- Strong organizational skills and be able to effectively multi-task.
- Must be detail-oriented, a logical thinker, analytical, and able to problem solve.
- Must be energetic, want to add value, and be driven regardless of the obstacles!
This position must be available Monday thru Friday, generally for day shifts only. One position is located at our main building – 9412 Commercial Street, New Minas, and the other position is located at the Michelin Tire plant, Waterville. Please specify if you have a preference of location. Overtime is not regularly required but may be based on operational need and when required is a condition of employment. The successful candidate must be insurable and provide a clean criminal background check.
This term position pays $15.00 an hour and ends at the end of the day, August 27, 2021. If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter to Carrie Hemmings at HR@flowercart.ca no later than Tuesday, April 20th, 2021.
We thank all interested candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Flower Cart is an equal opportunity employer.