The Biggs Award is an annual award that identifies a person who demonstrates the work skills taught and supported by The Flower Cart Group’s Community Employment Services. It highlights workers who have cognitive disabilities and who have become excellent role models for others. The Biggs Award makes clear to our community the kind of worker that The Flower Cart Group values. It is named in honour of Mr. Shawn Biggs, a brain-cancer survivor who applied to Partners in Employment Outreach in March 2003 and was hired to work on contract in the Michelin Tire Plant in Waterville.
At Michelin, Shawn seemed to be a natural leader and his co-workers looked up to him. He was an excellent role model for everyone around him. Shawn was presented with the first annual Biggs Award on June 15, 2004. Every year the Biggs Award gives us a way to recognize our employer partners and provide a way for them to recognize great employees.
The award winner:
- is, or has been, a client of Community Employment Services and/or Partners in Employment Outreach
- has worked four or more months for the employer and worked for the employer during the nomination year (April 1st – March 31st)
- has demonstrated skills, work habits, and attitudes which have had a positive effect on others
- has earned a good reputation with supervisors and co-workers as an eager learner and hard worker who has met or exceeded her/his employer’s expectations
- has been nominated by his/her employer
- 2016 – Burnell Steele – Tim Horton’s
- 2015 – Andrew Ward – Giant Tiger
- 2014 – Duane Muise – Michelin
- 2013 – Jason Gaudet – Home Hardware
- 2012 – Jerry Thorne – Jungle Jim’s